According to the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery (ASDS), 67% of people surveyed said they’re disturbed by extra fat below their chins. If you’ve tried dieting and exercise, but still suffer from an unsightly double chin, Dr. Jeffrey A. Klein and our knowledgeable practitioners at HK Dermatology in San Juan Capistrano, California can improve your profile in no time with a remarkably efficient procedure.
What causes a double chin?
Surprisingly, you don’t need to be overweight to sport a double chin. It occurs when a layer of subcutaneous fat develops beneath your chin. Subcutaneous fat, which serves several important functions, helps:
- Store energy for your body
- Protect bones and muscles during impact
- Insulate your body to regulate your temperature
- Serve as a tunnel for blood vessels and nerves within your muscles and skin
When you have too much subcutaneous fat, or when it pools in unwanted locations, such as your neck and chin, it may cause concern. Since weight gain contributes to overall fat, it helps to eat a healthy diet and exercise. Dr. Klein also recommends removing stubborn fat from your chin via tumescent liposuction.
A patented procedure
Dr. Klein patented a technique known as tumescent liposuction to remove the fat from your chin without general anesthesia. The gold standard in liposuction, Dr. Klein:
- Injects a local 24-hour anesthetic containing lidocaine and epinephrine into the fat
- Makes a minute incision
- Inserts a thin microcannula into the area
- Gently vacuums unwanted fat into a sterile machine
During the procedure, the area swells and firms, which helps Dr. Klein create contours. Your blood vessels in the region temporarily shrink, creating less blood loss and post-op bruising than traditional liposuction, plus minimal scarring and downtime. Tumescent liposuction also looks more natural.
Before your treatment
Prior to your session, inform Dr. Klein about:
- Medications, such as blood thinners, aspirin, or nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), including ibuprofen, which may increase bleeding
- Herbal products
- Any medical conditions involving the neck, throat, or chin areas
Keep your chin up
Since tumescent liposuction greatly reduces post-treatment pain, blood loss, and bruising, it’s much safer than other surgical methods. Just remember to keep your head elevated for a few days to reduce swelling.
We’re here to help
To discuss transforming your facial profile via tumescent liposuction, or for any other cosmetic or dermatological issues, call us today at 949-248-1632, or book an appointment online.